18.6.11

The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: Oxidized LDL

Whole Health Source: The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: Oxidized LDL, Part I

Whole Health Source: The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: Oxidized LDL, Part II

My Photo
  I received a B.S. in biochemistry from the University of Virginia in 2002, and a Ph.D. in neurobiology from the University of Washington in 2009. Professionally, I study the neurobiology of body fat regulation. In my spare time, I study and convey time-tested strategies for achieving and maintaining health and well-being. My goal is to live well, and help others do the same. This blog is a free service to whoever wants to read it. It's supported by generous reader donations. I have no ties to any company or special interest group.

The Diet-Heart Hypothesis: The Verdict

The diet-heart hypothesis, the idea that dietary saturated fat and cholesterol raise blood cholesterol and thus increase heart attack risk, is a half-century embarrassment to the international scientific community.
It requires willful ignorance of the fact that saturated fat does not increase total cholesterol or LDL in humans, in the long term. It requires a simplistic view of blood lipids that ignores the potentially harmful effects of replacing animal fats with carbohydrate or industrial seed oils.
Worst of all, it requires selective citation of the literature on diet modification trials.

I have to conclude that if dietary saturated fat and cholesterol play any role whatsoever in cardiovascular disease, it's a minor one that's trumped by other factors. Industrial seed oils and sugar are likely to play an important role in cardiovascular disease.